Monday, August 11, 2008

#2 and a new name

first, a visual review of the week:
the peru girls remember the alamo



peruanas at the riverwalk (jane, me, julie)


chapel of the incarnate word


most of the group--missionaries at a missions game--that's funny!
(the san antonio minor league team)

first week of orientation is officially over, and as we begin our second, i think we can all say that we are officially pooped-out. this past week has been filled with a lot of learning and a lot of fun, but i am definitely looking forward to this week, as we start to discuss issues like cultural reciprocity, latin american reality, social analysis, and of course, the myers-briggs! here are a few highlights of last week:
  • the enneagram: for those of you who don't know, the enneagram is a type of personality map. it basically places you in one of nine types, but unlike the myers-briggs, it does not box you in. it is more of a tool to understanding one's own personality and needs. i am thinking i fall most closely in the category of a 2. that explains a lot about me. for more information, and to try to figure out where you fall, check out the link on the right!
  • we've been able to get out a little, which is beautiful, but me and some of the girls are feeling a little stir-crazy! there's not much to do in the area, so we have had to be creative in entertaining ourselves and finding ways to escape the "compound" without anything to do nearby and without transportation...makes it tricky.
  • if anything, this week has calmed some of my fears and made me so excited to actually head out to peru! i am finding that my spirituality mostly falls in line with the peruvian girls as well as the sisters of charity. of course there are differences, but i am feeling much more at ease. i guess i expected a little more friction, being the only non-catholic, but it's actually been great. i've met some really incredible, hard-core nuns, that are clearly super-passionate about making this the best experience possible for us!
  • my new name--one concern i had for peru is the fact that my name does not translate to spanish; in fact, nothing comes even close and it's really really difficult to pronounce if spanish is your first language. i'm still trying to work this one out...some of the girls have taken to calling me "coco", which, honestly, doesn't really thrill me. other suggestions have been "coca" (like coca cola), "coqueta" (which means fashionable or flirt-haha), or "cj" (which, obvioulsy is my nickname, but en espanol, it would be pronounced "say-ho-ta"). so i'm taking votes and new suggestions!
  • thanks again for all the calls/emails/facebooking! i know it's only been a week, but it feels like a whole lot longer, so it's great to get news from home and still maintain connections. shoot me an email if you want my address, for either here in san an or for peru!
love,
cj







3 comments:

Lacey said...

we call my sister coco and it's super cute and it's really caught on, i think you should go for it. her name is the only one my niece can say.

Heidi said...

Ahhh Courtney! I love reading your thoughts. Your excerpt from your journal was truly beautiful. It's great to be able to have a little piece of your beautiful soul even when you're so far away.

P.S. THIS PAGE IS IN SPANISH AND I CAN'T FIGURE ANYTHING OUT!

P.P.S. I FINALLY was able to use the divacup for the first time today after 3 months of trying. Okay...maybe not something I should put on the internet, but whatever :)

Jackie said...

i already told you that i like it when you call me turd! it's endearing. or at least i hope it is? hahahaha